After making space to work on the car, my friend Wes and I began working on the brakes, which was giving my dad problems. We began by trying to bleed to brakes, with no success. A friend of my father’s suggested that we make sure the brake lines were correct, so we began tracing the brake lines from the master cylinder to each of the brake calipers. We found a small leak at the passenger side caliper, which we thought was the culprit, so we took it apart and reassembled it. We then tried to bleed the brakes again using the “old-school” method of opening the bleeder valve, pushing the brake, closing the bleeder valve, and lifting up on the brake. We continued to pump the brake in this fashion with no luck. We started with the brake farthest from the master cylinder as recommended, but with no success. We tried to see if any of the brakes would bleed, and none would bleed. After two days of working on the brakes with no success, we decided we needed backup and called our friend Ty for help.
Ty began troubleshooting and discovered the brake fluid was not pumping through the reservoir. We removed the brake fluid from the reservoir, removed the reservoir, and discovered that sediment was blocking the outlets, preventing the brake fluid from entering the brake lines. After cleaning and reinstalling the reservoir, and filling it with brake fluid, the brakes began to bleed. The successful bleeding of the brakes improved morale; it felt good to get something accomplished on the car. With this success we decided to call it a night. We decided next time we would install the front shocks, put in the drive shaft, and bolt on the wheels, with the hope of finally putting the car on the ground for the first time in years. Not everything went according to plan, but more on that next time.